Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Sanity Saver

Raising boys is not for wimps. The messes they create can make the strongest woman cry. Ask me how I know... However, once the initial shock wears off, it can be quite entertaining. Some of my favorite memories are the moments that nearly brought me to tears. This picture is one of those moments. We had been cooped up in the house all winter long. Spring was warm but very wet that year. My mom had given us some fill dirt to re-grade our yard with. Lots of rain plus lots of dirt equals lots of MUD! The boys had gone out to play with direct instructions to only play in the front yard where there was grass. When I wasn't looking, they ventured into the mud pit of all mud pits. By the time I noticed, it was way too late. Josh and Aaron are sitting in holes about 2 feet deep completely filled with mud. Adam's pants actually fell off because they were so filled with mud. The boys' rain boots were full of mud!

What's a mom to do??? I let out a little whimper and told them to stay put while I grabbed the camera. You heard that right. I told them they might as well enjoy the mud now since they were already filthy. My mother in law gave me this wonderful piece of advice - Think like a Grandma. It really does help when you think you can't survive another day. If you were the Grandma instead of the Mom, I bet you'd grab the camera and get pictures of this amazing mess so that you'd never forget the day the boots were full of mud.

Rachel

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. Thanks Rachel for the cry! It brought back precious memories of the day that 4 year old James became the "mud monster." He had rolled around in the muddy creek until only his eyes were showing. It was so heavy that it was tugging his little yellow tank top and shorts off. BTW, they were never yellow again:) Thankfully, I was able to think like a grandma and grab the camera. Somewhere in the unsorted pictures, I have one of the mud monster. You are so right! Savor the moments when the only thing you can do is laugh. You'll be glad later when the time and childhood has gone by...julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember your telling me about this day shortly after it happened!

    As I always tell people, "My daughter-in-law makes her boys 'obey', but she is so great because she recognizes a Kodak moment when she sees one."

    You and Sherry need to keep up the great writing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When it rains hard our front yard turns into a lake. I always let the kids go out in their bare feet and shorts to have fun and get dirty! They have a blast and then get in the shower with their clothes on to rinse off. I figure, clothes can be washed, and these are things the kids always remember. It's no fun being clean all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Megan did the same thing a couple years ago in our apartment complex. It had rained and the landscapers were working on the flower bed next to our apartment. I have pictures of her and her little friend nearly covered in mud. At first, I was like you...wanting to cry. But then I realized you're only little once when it's socially acceptable to play in the mud. ;) Then I ran and got my camera! Blessings! Melanie

    ReplyDelete